Rina GunterGet to know me
Gunter Attorneys was established in 2011 by Rina Gunter. Rina is a South African patent attorney and an attorney of the High Court of South Africa. She holds a science degree in metallurgy and chemistry, as well as a law degree. She has over 25 years’ experience in the fields of organic- and inorganic chemistry, material science, mining, mineral processing, water purification, food processing, construction and agricultural chemistry technologies, and mechanically engineering inventions. She specialises in drafting, filing and prosecuting of local and international patent, design and trade mark applications, on behalf of both South African and foreign-based applicants. Her expertise extends to intellectual property litigation, development contracts, and licensing of intellectual property rights. Rina also advises on commercialisation of intellectual property rights, including licencing, manufacturing, development, software development, service level, distribution, franchise, technology transfer, supply and the like IP agreements.
In 2010 Rina was singled out as one of three finalists in CEO Magazine’s Most Influential Women in Business and Government Awards (Legal Sector). She is a regular radio guest presenter on several national and regional radio stations, presenter at national and international IP seminars, and regular guest lecturer on IP related matters at South African universities.
In her private capacity, Rina is co-founding member and chairperson of “Friends of Moreletaspruit”, a non-profit organization that works towards re-establishing 21 hectares of wetland as a nature reserve.
- B.Sc (Metallurgy, Chemistry) – University of Pretoria (1993)
- B.Proc (cum laude) – University of South Africa (1998)
Affiliations and Accolades
- Patent Attorney
- Attorney of the High Court, South Africa
- Fellow – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Judge – Institute of Inventors and Innovators
- Member – Patent Law Committee of the South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Past Judge – SABS Design Institute Prototype Awards
- Past Judge – Annual Technology Top 100 Companies Competition in South Africa
- Past Lecturer (Design Law) – South African Institute of Intellectual Property Law (SAIIPL)
- Past EXCO member – South African Group of the International Association for the Protection of Intellectual Property (AIPPI)
- Partner – D M Kisch (1994 – 2006)
- Partner – Spoor & Fisher (2006 – 2011)